City Engineer - City of Jacksonville Beach
This position performs complex professional and difficult administrative work planning, organizing, and overseeing the design, construction, installation, inspection, and maintenance of public works infrastructure and utility systems; does related work as required. Work is performed independently under the general supervision of the Director of Public Works. Supervision is exercised over division personnel and contractors.
The work is light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required:
- Repetitive Motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers.
- Standing: Particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- Manual Dexterity: Picking, pinching, or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling.
- Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
- Vocal Communication: Required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Hearing: Required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
- Visual Acuity: Required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, use of measuring devices, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities.
The worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Communicates and interacts regularly with City Administration, Executive Management, staff, vendors, management, contractors, and the public to provide information and give direction in the coordination of City project design and construction.
- Prepares various written documents including City Council reports, memos, studies, and other correspondence in order to evaluate progress and respond to information requests; provides verbal reports to City Administration and the City Council.
- Serves as project design engineer and manager on a wide variety of public works projects; develops, designs, and inspects water/wastewater/reuse/stormwater utilities and transportation systems master plans, capital improvement plans, and projects; prepares cost estimates; assists with the acquisition of properties for public use; prepares and maintains engineering records and files.
- Develops, updates, and administers contracts for the design, construction, and maintenance of municipal utilities, roadways, sidewalks, and other facilities.
- Develops and updates capital programs for improving utility system reliability and implementing regulatory requirements.
- Develops request for proposals and assesses proposal responses for construction design projects, continuing service contracts, engineering studies/reports, and related services.
- Reviews/prepares cost estimates and bid documents; approves pay invoices for contractors.
- Develops and updates City infrastructure construction standards, utility ordinances, and resolutions.
- Implements Federal and State utility and transportation systems regulatory requirements; interfaces with State and Federal regulatory agencies to ensure the city is planning for the impact of regulatory changes.
- Provides construction project assistance and administration services to other City departments; provides technical assistance to parties planning land improvement and construction activities.
- Reviews subdivision plats, private property site development permit plans, and private building construction permit plans to ensure compliance with City standards and requirements.
- Reviews and processes permit requests for right-of-way, revocable encroachment, building construction, site development, and related.
- Assists in the preparation and administration of the departmental budget, business plan, and capital improvement plan.
- Supervises assigned staff and provides department-wide leadership and management; may serve as acting Public Works Director in the absence of the director, or as assigned.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City of Jacksonville Beach and the employee and is subject to change by the City as the needs of the City and requirements of the job change.
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering or related field, and seven years of progressively responsible experience in professional engineering, including supervisory and contract management experience. Municipal or public utility experience is preferred.
A valid driver’s license and Certification as a Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Florida.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the practices, methods, and techniques used in the construction and maintenance of public works or utility facilities.
- Thorough knowledge of land and engineering survey systems, methods, and techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of engineering drafting.
- Ability to plan projects, conduct research, prepare cost estimates, and make inspections.
- Ability to make clear and concise oral and written reports.
- Ability to prepare and maintain clear and accurate records.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City Administration, management, and staff, City officials, local, state, and federal officials, associates, contractors, and the general public; ability to work effectively with others as part of a specially assigned team or in within a work group.
Core Purpose and Values
Our employees uphold and promote the mission, vision, and core values of the City of Jacksonville Beach. To be successful, an individual must be able to perform the essential functions of the job and demonstrate a strong desire to be a part of our EPIC Team:
- Empowerment – Enabling employees to achieve work-life balance & professional growth and success
- Pride – A small coastal city dedicated to displaying a big heart through our commitment to the community
- Integrity – We hold ourselves, individually and collectively, accountable to our community and our organization
- Communication – Open & honest dialogue with our community and throughout our organization
- Teamwork– Working together with our community to achieve common organizational goals